Friday, November 23, 2007

Site announcements

Hey everybody! Happy Thanksgiving!!! Yes, its been a while since I last wrote here. For no really good reason. A lot has happened and training is basically over. Last week they sent us to visit other peace corps volunteers who have already been here a year or two. We went to Tanga region which is just by the border of kenya. We woke up for the sunrise one morning and from the top of one hill we could see the plains of Kenya. The clouds hid the sunset, and the fact that the sun was actually rising behind another mountain made it hard to see. Other than that there was lots of hanging out and just seeing how a volunteer really lives.. Like do they eat chipsi mayai (french fries fried with egg) every other day like I have been doing for the past month or do they cook other dinners when they live alone. And actually the guy I visited did eat lotssssssssss of chipsi mayai, but I can tell you that I will be trying very hard NOT to eat anymore chipsi mayai. Dont get me wrong. ITs delicious, but besides the fact that my mama has told me that everyone in the village has told her that im getting nice and fat (for emphasis she holds her arms out and puffs her cheeks out) Id like to be able to make it up Kilimanjaro or Mt. Meru if I get the chance and not be the fat kid lagging behind. It was also FREEZING ok, no ice and maybe it was like 50 degrees in Tanga among mountains that reminded me of italy.

The trip was fun and rather uneventful besides riding the daladala (an overstuffed bus) around the sides of the mountains, on which at one stop I had to get out and puke. It was a beautiful ride though as long as i didnt think about falling over the side of the road and down many feet. I think the mountains were like 5000ish feet. Anyway after that we went to Dar Es Salaam the big city in TZ and had Thanksgiving dinner at our Country Directors house. The apple pie was delish. So after a pretty Americanized week and a few sort of boring saftety and security/finance/i dont even remember the other types of meetings they finally told us what we've all been waiting for....

WHERE WELLL be living for the next two years!!!! My site sounds great. We actually got to interview earlier during training and say what our ideal site would be. I had no idea and all i really said was that i like to run and that I like to eat fruit and play sports and then I talked to my interviewere about her kids for a while and some other random things.........
so where did that get me?/

Mtwara region. My village and school which im not allowed to mention on this blog and are down by the border of Mozambique. I am so excited!!! Ill be teaching at an all girls boarding school with about 500 students. The village that my school is closest to has like 800 ppl and is 55 km from the nearest bigger town. There is no public transportation but the school has a car and goes in like once a week. Its in a hilly area with lots of running and biking trails etc. The girl who was at the site before said that she used to run alot so that is goodthat ill be able to run. I tink i even have electricity and running water so that will make chargoing my cell phone a lil easier, besides that i dont know much but i think it soundg great---- We will leave next Thursday the 28th of november i think and take a nice long bus ride... Until then, keep me updated i love hearing from everybody!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments: